June 6th, I have been dying to try this recipe since I first watched the vids, and after finally securing all the seeds, I gave it a go yesterday, though I used lemon zest instead of orange. And this used my SD starter
For my first effort, I tried to follow the directions, which was going really well until 4 hours went by and my bulk rise was already more than doubled. Then, what kicks in is self analysis. 14 hour bulk rise? At room temperature? I figured at that point, since it appeared bulk risen, I would see if I could fold and shape, and get these into a basket and put in the fridge, but there is no amount of flour that you can use to keep this mess from being a sticky morass. So I put it all back in my rise container and let it go a few more hours.
That didn’t make too much of a difference, but I decided I was going to work fast, and with flour I was able to divide (I made enough for two) spread, fold, shape and then rest.
I then again, spread, folded, shaped as best I could and placed in my lined and rice floured baskets, where they spent the next 14 hours in the refrigerator.
I went straight from fridge to 500F pre-heated DOs and baked 27 covered at 450 and then 15 un-covered, followed by oven off, and door open for 10 more minutes.
Results: I have to hockey puck-like boules that are really very tasty. I didn’t get the oven spring I would have loved to see. I got some, but not enough.
So, when I do this again, here is my plan. I am going to start this in the late afternoon, and after the second stir, I am going to place my rise container in my fridge, and I am going to leave it there until the morning when I will check in and see what magic happened over night. I think this sticky dough will be a lot easier to fold and shape if it is cold. That is a guess, that I think is borne out in Eric’s instructions about the overnight method.
We shall see what we shall see.