Ancient Grain Zucchini-Chocolate Chip Muffins

Hello! Long-time reader, first time poster.

I just made the “Ancient Grain Zucchini-Chocolate Chip Muffins”; the “Leave a comment in our forum” link was broken, so I posted here instead.

Through absentmindedness I found myself with a couple of bags of spelt flour, and have been looking for different ways to use it. With all that’s going on now and limitations on going shopping, I wanted to use it with what I had on hand. That’s how I found the muffin recipe.

I didn’t have date sugar, so substituted some palm sugar I’d been wanting to use up, edging the quantity down a bit (i.e., I filled the 3/4 cup measure a hair short of level); I also replaced half the oil with unsweetened applesauce. Oat milk instead of regular (since I had none). I had some chocolate chips left in a bag in the freezer (probably short of the 1/2 cup in the recipe) and chopped some pecans I had left over. Zucchini was shredded, unpeeled.

I used the toothpick test, though I do wish the note “…or until a baking thermometer indicates the muffins are fully baked” had specified a temperature.

End result: very tasty! I’d make it again, perhaps cutting the sugar down to 2/3 cup.