A Grain Mill for Every Kitchen

(Eric) #1

Originally published at: http://breadtopia.com/a-grain-mill-for-every-kitchen/
  If you want to consistently bake the very best home artisan bread — and especially if you are baking with more whole grains which have a shorter shelf life than white flour — using fresh-milled flour makes a huge difference. And with the wealth of options in countertop grain mills, it’s now quite easy and affordable to be…

1 Like
(firstluff) #2

Have you tried the KitchenAid brand grain mill, which sells for about $130? How does it compare to the MockMill?

(dreasbaking) #3

Great comparison and description. And I seriously doubt you shared almost all you know about milling in those 15 minutes! Thanks!

(wellsroger) #4

Can you double mill with a Komo mill? I have one and seem to recall that this was not advised?

(annie) #5

Thank you for that demonstration; the information was useful.
I have one question…or comment.
I have always been led to believe that pastry flour is a flour not just milled fine but it also a flour milled from soft wheat rather than the typical bread flours which are made from hard wheat. I also have been told that the hard wheat has more gluten which, of course, brings out that wonderful rubbery consistency that allows the bread to hold its shape when rising. I believe that the soft wheat has less gluten which makes it work better for flaky, tender things like pie crust.
What is your take on this?

(Eric) #6

I haven’t, so I don’t know how it compares. They’re dirt cheap on Amazon now. Even Williams-Sonoma has them on sale. Hmmm, for $90 or so, it would probably be smart for me to get one for another comparison video.

(Eric) #7

Good catch, Annie. You are exactly right. I should have said that it mills to a pastry flour “like” fineness or something to that effect. I need to listen more carefully to what I’m saying.

(Eric) #8

I have done so quite a bit without issue. As long as you feed the flour through somewhat gradually, there shouldn’t be a problem. Even if the heads clogged up, they’re easy to access and clean.

(Elizabeth) #9

Does the new Nutri Mill Plus handle chia and flax seeds, or does it require an attachment?

(Eric) #10

No and no. Too oily and will clog up the works. I use the Nutrimill Mini Mill to get a nice meal in seconds.

(annie) #11

Eric, your videos are outstanding and I am sure that they take a lot of thought and work. I always tell my friends who ask me how I make such beautiful and tasty breads to check out your website if they want the best instruction on how to get started. You helped me get started. I don’t always follow your techniques/ingredients exactly but what you do is my sure base. You inspired me and now I’ve been baking incredible breads for a couple of years that astounds people. (astounds me too :slight_smile: )Thanks.

2 Likes
(jyn510) #13

Hi All,
I received my Komo Classic Mill and I love using it. I baked some quick breads and people noticed the subtle but distinct textural and taste difference.
I keep the mill out on a table where I can use it without moving it. I am really glad I bought mine at the Thanksgiving sale. No other place had a better price than Breadtopia!

1 Like
(Jurgen) #14

Hello,
if you adjust the stone mills until they touch and release them from there, I would recommend to run some grains through the mill and throw away the flour.
Corundum is Aluminium Oxide. I am not an expert and I could be wrong, but some people claim there could be some health issues related to this (there’s disagreement on which oxides are harmful and which are inert).
I am convinced it’s totally all right when you use the mill in normal mode, but when you let the stones touch, I guess you might create a minute quantity of fine Aluminium Oxide powder (which you will not notice) which could be better to avoid.
Admittedly, this warning could be totally unfounded. I just don’t know.

1 Like