A Few Wild and Crazy Ryes

I made four types of rye for a rye bread and rye whisky tasting. Clockwise from bottom left: Bavarian hausbrot, vollkornbrot, pickle brine Jewish rye, Triticale.

The hausbrot is 50/50 Danko rye and rouge de Bordeaux with a spice blend of ground coriander, anise, caraway, and fennel seeds mixed in.

Vollkornbrot is 100% Danko rye with whole rye berries mixed in and topped with pumpkin, flax, and sunflower seeds.

Pickle brine deli rye is 70/30 hard white wheat and rye. About 30% of the water was replaced with homemade half-sour pickle brine (fermented, no vinegar). I milled caraway into the flour, added whole seeds to the dough, and topped with even more caraway. The flavor was very good, not pickle forward, but definitely detectable on the back end.

The Triticale was 50/50 hard white wheat and triticale. This is only my second time using it and I like it a lot. It’s a hybridized wheat/rye combo, really nice flavor.

3 Likes

Beautiful! They all sound so good. I am thinking of trying hausbrot soon. The spice mix sounds tasty.

It was great, I usually make it in loaf pans, but wanted the more rustic look this time. I’ve also made a “havdalah” version with cinnamon, cloves, and allspice that’s very good.

1 Like

I have the ingredients for the haus brot. Ive been making different roggen brot variations of my own these sound great. The venue sounds good to. I enjoy mine with beer. I haven’t made a Roggenbier lately but you inspired me

Can you post recipe for 50/50 Danko rye rouge de Bordeaux

I haven’t made it in a while, but I believe it was the 50/50 flour mix, 85% hydration (give or take), 2% salt, and I think I used yeast for this one but I can’t remember, it would have been 3/4 tsp. I toasted the spices until fragrant, then ground and mixed into the flour.

1 Like