5 grain sourdough kaiser rolls!

Lovely home-made 5 grain sourdough kaiser rolls made with my oat sourdough! One really fills you up! Now, on my blog! :slight_smile: Enjoy!

Recipe: For 11 sourdough kaiser rolls

Ingredients:

For the kaiser rolls:

100 gr active sourdough (100% hydration) I used oat sourdough

450 gr 5-grain flour + 3 flakes (Mine had wholemeal flours & white wheat flours in it.) My mix was Markal organic 5 grains + 3 flakes: White flour T 65, oat flour, rye flour, rice flour, wholemeal spelt flour, barley flakes, millet flakes, sesame & wheat gluten)

60 gr unsweetened soy milk

200 gr warm water

5 gr raw dark cane sugar

16 gr sunflower seeds

20 gr vegan margarine, soft

6 gr salt

To brush your rolls with, just before baking:

melted vegan margarine, the same as used above

sesame seeds or other seeds to your liking

Method:

Day 1:

Make your bread mix. Take Kenwood machine & place dough hook in. In fitted bowl ad first 6 ingredients. This is the sourdough, 5-grain flour, soy milk, warm water, cane sugar & sunflower seeds. Start mixing on low-speed, aka number 2 for 2 minutes. Then leave the dough to rest for 20 minutes. The flour is allowed to absorb the moisture = autolyse. Now, ad last 2 ingredients. This is the margarine & the salt. Start mixing again on medium-speed, aka number 3 for 5 minutes. Then, turn up to 5 & mix for 5 minutes more.

Take dough out of the bowl & place onto kitchen top. You don’t need no flour here! With your hands, knead for another 3 minutes, to stretchen the gluten inside! That is what we want. I do the stretch & fold principle. Then, turn the dough again! This during minutes. Your dough has to be smooth! Shape a boule shape. Oil a big bowl & place dough in it. Place closed plastic bag over it. Leave on the kitchen counter, sitting on a big towel, to rest for 1 night. It is 9.30 PM now.

Day 2:

In the morning, after 8-12 hours of rising, remove plastic bag. Your dough has doubled or tripled in size! Place dough onto kitchen counter & knock back all the air. Weigh the dough. Mine was 825 gr. Divide with dough scraper into 11 equal sized & weighted portions. 825 gr divided by 11 = 75 gr each! It is easy this way. Roll each dough part into a round ball & place them onto your kitchen counter & place a clean towel over them, to let them rest for 15 minutes.

Now, flatten each ball into a circular disk. Dip each of them on all, sides into some rye flour to prevent sticking to the counter top. Remove excess of flour. Leave to rest for another 45 minutes under a clean kitchen towel. Now, shape each of the discs into kaiser rolls. Dust counter with some rye flour or 5 grain flour. Roll each disc into a long sausage shape, equally thick everywhere, max. 30 cm long. Now, make a simple knot. And then, fold one end to the middle. And the other end fold it under in to the middle. That is it. It is reasonably easy. I followed this easy you tube tutorial: https://youtu.be/ffWyB7Uuymw

Place each knot onto a bread Silpat or normal Silpat, well spaced apart & place a closed plastic bag over the top & place into a warm place for the last rise. This took my bread knots + 1/2 hours to double in size.
Preheat oven to 200°C for at least 10 minutes. I always use a fan oven! Otherwise, adjust your oven to the right temperature!

Melt vegan margarine on low-heat until just melted. Place pot with sesame seeds besides you. Turn heat off. Open plastic bags, take trays with risen kaiser rolls out of the bags.
Brush with pastry brush the melted margarine all over the top & side surface of each kaiser roll. I scattered sesame seeds over the top of 6 rolls. The other one’s, I left alone. You can choose other seeds if you like, it is up to you! :wink:

Place the rolls on the Silpat on an oven rack & bake in the middle of the hot oven until browned on all sides & bake through. This took my rolls, 17 minutes. I baked 1 tray per time. When ready, your house will smell like a top-notch bakery! Remove tray from the oven & turn every roll up side down & tap on the bottom. If it sounds hollow, the bun is ready. Place buns on a wire rack to cool completely. When cool, slice, munch & repeat! If you have leftover buns, store in an organic bag. Excellent smeared with vegan butter & choco! My husband loves it with butter & a good slice of cheese with cumin seed! Mmm!

Here on my blog : [http://sophiesfoodiefiles.wordpress.com/2018/02/01/5-grain-sourdough-kaiser-rolls-ooh-yes/]