2 day bulk ferment

I read a comment under no knead bread variations November 17 2015 that talked about doing a 2 day bulk
using 2 Tbsp. starter. I can’t seem to find an article that talks about using this method. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you!

That seems still like a lot of starter for that long a bulk if your dough is at room temp. I’d go for it, but keep an eye on your dough and refrigerate if the dough seems to be moving fast and you’re set on 2 days. Also maybe using cooler water in the dough. Good luck!

I am interested in information on doing the 2 day bulk ferment in the refrigerator.

I may be able to help you if you give me more specific questions - what aspect of this process are you unsure about?

Thank you! I use the Breadtopia no knead recipe using 3 oz. sourdough starter. If I want to do my bulk ferment in the refrigerator for 2 days, would I start the bulk on the counter for a couple of hours first, than refrigerate? What amount of starter do you recommend? After removing from the refrigerator, shape and how long would I do the final proof?

After doing some more research, I think what would work best for me would be to do an overnight bulk ferment, shape the next day and place in a banneton in the refrigerator for a day or 2. If so, can I do my overnight ferment in the fridge also? Remove from the fridge the next morning, shape and return to fridge. Bake the next day or 2 cold directly into a hot cloche? During the summer months it is impossible for me to bulk ferment on my kitchen counter as it is too warm for the dough.

Until today, when I baked a lovely bread that proofed in the banneton in the fridge for 24 hrs, I would have said, 12 hours is the most you want to proof in the refrigerator. Go figure :slight_smile: I believe this dough was able to go so long because it was cold and a little under-bulked when I shaped it.

I have bulked a dough as long as 36 hours, I believe, and not had any problems - some of this time in the fridge and some time at room temp.

Other people on this site can likely give examples of longer bulks and different experiences and observations they’ve made.

Ultimately, you have to watch your dough – especially when you try something new. And you can’t expect your experience to match someone else’s because there are too many variables at play: starter strength/amount, water temp, flour type, room and fridge temps.

When I am having life schedule issues (most of time lol), my dough is in and out of the refrigerator several times over the course of both the bulk fermentation and final proof.

1 Like