12 day sourdough starter not doing much

Thats was at first. Now im keeping it between 74-76

1 Like

I also bulked it up at bit. I didnt discard and fed 1:1:1. Its rising beautify just hasnt doubled yet. I fed it 6 hours ago

1 Like

If it doubles at 10 hours, I would still use it. That puts you at 6pm EST.for mixing your dough. It may need 6pm to 6am for the first rise, so that is kinda okay. Don’t put it somewhere warm, and that way maybe you wake up and the dough still won’t have doubled.
For the starter, whatever is left at 6pm, feed 1:2:2 so it doesn’t peak in the middle of the night while you’re sleeping.

I was thinking of putting it in the fridge ? Cause i dont know if i can bake it in the morning

This its the starter right now. Almost 7 hours since feeding

After you shape the dough in the morning, you can refrigerate it all day if you want to bake at night.

If you want to refrigerate the starter, that is fine too. You could pull 10 gram off it and feed it 50g flour and 40g water, and leave that at RT until tmo.

Okay! Say it doubles by 6pm. Do i have to make the dough right then ? I have littles that go to bed at 8pm

Okay so update. It stopped rising at 4pm. Maybe i didnt feed it enough ??

How did you feed it for the last round that got you to not quite double by 4:00 p.m.?

I messed up my measurements cause i kept to much starter. I did 150g,240g,240g. It did double in 7 hours but it was really late last night. So i fed this morning 120g,240g,240g. I know im keepinf to much starter lol. Hopefully i can do the dough this afternoon

I don’t think that was a mess up :slight_smile:

Honestly most of my feeds are ? : 1: 1
I’m just eyeballing whatever is in the jar and making sure to put more flour and water than what I think is in there.

Also that your feed yesterday wasn’t 1:1:1 explains why it took longer to double.

I really think your starter is doing great.

I’ve posted this article a bunch so my apologies if you’ve already seen it. I think it’s a good read for understanding how to strategize scheduling feeds.

The 1:1.3:1 feed is the one that didnt double actually. The bigger feed i thought i messed up last night was 150g, 240g, 240g (1:1.7:1.7) and it doubled in 7 hours. I did a 1:2:2 ratio this morning at 8:30am, fingers crossed it doubles. Thank you for sharing. I started keeping my discard yesterday and have made a couple things already. Sooo good !

1 Like

Its rising beautifully right now. Do you have a schedule for sourdough bread you can share with me ? I want have it in the fridge overnighr and bake tomorrow

Thank you ! Also when i take from the starter to bake. Do i need to feed again before refrigerating ?

Here’s the info you need for starter management next steps, discard collecting or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first loaf was a huge fail. Based on things ive read it was overfermented which doesnt make sense to me. This is was i did.
Made dough
30-60min 1st stretch and fold
30-60min 2nd stretch and fold
30 min later stretch and fold
I thought it didnt look right and qas sticky so i did one more stretch and fold.
BF in warm spot of my home 75° , for 4 hours
It was jiggly has bubbles forming on the side and had risen like 70%
But it was so so sticky unmanageable wouldnt hold its shape.
So i put it in the over night. Today it was easy to shape. But would not hold. I baked it anyway and it was completly flat

Any ides whats went wrong ??

Keep it Simple.

I think a change in recipe is needed.

• 500g bread flour
  • 300-350g warm water
  • 10g salt
  • 100g fed and matured starter at 100% hydration

1: Feed your starter the night before so it is ready by morning.
2: Mix together 500g bread flour, 300g water and 100g starter till there are no dry bits remaining. Cover and autolyse for 30 min.
3: Sprinkle the salt over the dough and incorporate by folding and squeezing the dough (first run your hand under cold water and shake off the excess, this will make it easier to handle the dough and incorporate the salt). Use this time to add more water, bit by bit, if needed. The dough should be tacky but not sticky.
4: Knead the dough till full gluten formation (10-15 minutes).
5: Cover the dough and bulk ferment till doubled.
6: Shape the dough and final proof till ready. About 2 hours.
7: Bake.

Take photos at each step. Very difficult to comment without photos.

Okay the recipe i followed before was
500g flour
360 water
125g starter
10g salt

So maybe to much water. I will follow this recipe next. So no stretch and folds ?

Also my starter doubles in 6-7 hours now and starts to fall ? Is it okay to use even after it has fallen ?