100% Whole Wheat Bread

Originally published at:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you don't see the "Reply" button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue "Log In" button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

I just purchased a Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer. When following directions saying “proof for 8-12 hours”, at what temperature? Are there any changes to the time?

8-12 hours accounts for a range of possible room temperatures. If you can control the temperature the dough proofs at, you have control over the time it takes for the dough to finish proofing.

Bread baking is rarely if ever so certain that you can say exactly how long a particular dough needs to proof. With experience, you’ll know when the dough is ready by look and feel.

I made this bread recipe today! (Found your website yesterday) I had no potato flakes or flour, so I substituted 2 Tablespoons of Spelt Flour and 1 Tablespoon of Gluten. I also changed the flour content a bit: I used 1 Cup of Freshly Stoneground Red Fife Whole Wheat Flour and 2 Cups normal everyday ole white flour. It just came out of the oven.
DEE-LISH!

Thank you for sharing!! Now to attempt your Sourdough Starter, and Baguettes on Monday! (Please cross your fingers!)

I made this and let my kitchen aid mix and knead it for a couple of minutes. It produced a soft fluffy loaf that tasted great. I should have taken a picture before it disappeared.

I’ve made this bread a couple of times now, as written, mixing and kneading by hand. My dough seems dryer than the one in the video, and it takes about three hours to double in bulk. (Even then it might not be quite double.) It doesn’t rise much in the pan, either – about 3/4 an inch above the pan. Also takes longer to bake than the recipe indicates. It tastes good, especially toasted, so I’m not too disappointed, but I’m wondering why my experience with the recipe is so different from others.

It’s hard to know why, but it’s a common experience for results with the same recipe to vary significantly from one baker to another based on a myriad of variables always present in the baking world. If you were to use a different brand of yeast with a different brand of flour on a different weather day, you might get altogether different results. It can be challenging, interesting and frustrating.

I was anxious to try this bread, but in reviewing all the steps, I didn’t see anything that would preclude using my bread machine to prepare it for baking. I loaded everything into the machine (dry ingredients first), selected the whole wheat dough cycle and turned it on. At the end of the cycle I had a beautiful smooth dough that went right into a lightly greased ceramic bread baker. I followed the recommended baking instructions and finished with a great loaf, free of any flaws. Great outcome! My only modification to the recipe was to use a 50/50 blend of King Arthur whole wheat and heirloom red fife organic wheat flour from Breadtopia. My next loaf will be 100% heirloom red fife.

I do not see the instructions for the recipe and when I click on the word “here” to see them, I am directed to the same page without instructions. Can anyone help?

Sorry, I don’t know what became of the linked page. Can’t find it.

I made it at home last month but wasn’t as tasty as it looks in online tutorial or maybe I made any mistake.

Thank you for replying.

Does anyone know what type of knife, or wooden attachment to the knife, he is slicing the loaf with, at the end of this video ? Looks pretty cool for even slicing.

TIA
HM

Hi Tia.

It’s called a fiddle bow bread knife. A google search will bring it up. We carried them for a while many years ago but too many customers found that it didn’t really help them cut more uniform slices of bread (it’s main purported benefit), so we dropped it.

Late to the conversation here, but wondering if it would work to substitute either apple cider or pineapple juice for the orange juice in this recipe? I am allergic to oranges, and happen to have cider in the house for making cider donuts, and pineapple juice for the starter I put up this week. Thoughts on which might be a better choice to try? Thanks!

I am wondering what does the orange juice do in this recipe?