100% Sprouted 2nd Try

This is the second attempt at substituting all sprouted flour for regular in my standard bread procedure. Last time there was rye in the mix but suspecting the nature of rye causing the deflation of the loaf it was left out this time and all the flour was fresh ground sprouted white wheat. As you can see the loaf still deflated some and the crumb is slightly more dense and moist than it would be with unsprouted flour. The flavor is still very good with kind of a grassy sweet undertone that is enjoyable. At this point there is a couple of things that can be done, either enjoy the bread as it is figuring it is just different, or try to adjust or use a different procedure to see if the deflation can be overcome. Maybe both.

Stu

This is interesting for sure. I love me a mystery. I currently have 2.5 loaves of bread to work through, and then I’m going to try this, as well as a bolted version and an entirely different blister experiment I have going on :joy:

Today I am going to baseline it with an unsprouted version just to make sure my procedure hasn’t gone off. I will post a picture of the results.

400g home-milled whole grain sprouted hard red spring wheat
300g water
80g AP flour starter
8g (1.5 tsp) salt

I just started this and will likely cold proof overnight unless things seem to be moving fast, and I know that’s a definite possibility.

Let me know if I’m way under your hydration as I could add some water still. I can’t do much the other direction at this point.l :slight_smile:

Also, I recognize my AP starter makes this not a pure sprouted test…but I was impatient to try it!

This is the unsprouted control using the same procedure as the sprouted above. As you can see the loaf did not deflate so something else is going on with the sprouted. I am curious how your loaf turns out. Your hydration is probably about right, I usually start at 70% and go up by feel.

Your test process loaf looks good! At least that is ruled out.

My all home-milled sprouted bread seems okay. It’s been on the cooling rack about a half-hour and not showing any deflation. I’ll update if that changes and post a crumb shot tomorrow.

I apparently didn’t dig deep enough with my razor blade on one part of the score but otherwise good bloom and firmness.

500 20 min lid on
450 8 min lid on
450 8 min lid off
Long all-cold-fridge proof maybe 14 hrs.

I wonder if something funny is happening during your sprouting or drying processes?
The mystery continues :frowning:

Your loaf looks great. Maybe next time I’ll try using red instead of white wheat. Then after that use something simular to your process and see what happens. Thanks for your contribution towards solving a quandary.

You’re welcome! You’ve helped me and taught me a lot. It’s the least I could do, and I’m enjoying the bread too, so truly no hardship :grin:

Here’s the crumb as promised. Not sweet really, maybe because it was over 24 hrs start to finish.

Looks like a good whole grain crumb to me. In a couple days will try the red wheat.

1 Like

I am wondering at what temperature Breadtopia’s sprouted wheat is dehydrated. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Stu

1 Like