Yohan Ferrants Do Nothing Bread

After seeing the posting from breadtopia and watching the video about this Do Nothing Bread, I had to try it. Why not? I’m wondering now if this was perhaps not a serious posting…The bread, at 90% hydration, remained a lump of wet dough that didn’t change one whit while sitting in a banneton for an hour after “shaping.” Baked - a flat pretty misshapen loaf … So, worth it for me to have tried it so I know, but I caution others. I’m curious to see postings of those who try it and find it successful. Please do post your experiences if you make it!! I’ll return to my very satisfying, consistent boule of tartine sourdough country bread. Thank you, Breadtopia, for continuing to share what you discover and enable this open conversation about successes and “failures.”

Hi flohodes. I hope it’s not just my memory that’s failing me here, but I’m not placing “Do Nothing Bread”. Maybe it will come to me later but in the mean time can you please copy the link here to the recipe/video you’re referring to? Thanks.

I have made Yohan Ferrant’s Do Nothing Breead twice now. The first time I fermented it 29 hours at room temp, until it doubled. I shaped and proofed in the fridge for another 12 hours, and then baked it from the fridge into the oven. It had great oven spring, and was very tasty! I was so impressed I made another batch the following weekend, with the addition of a cooked hot cereal soaker. This time I didn’t get as much oven spring, but still great flavour. My third attempt starts tonight. The recipe is 60 % whole wheat bread flour, 40% hard white bread flour, 900 g water, 1.8% salt, and 1% starter. Mix all till incorporated, and let proof at room temp for approx. 24 hours or until at least doubled. Use a straight-sided container and mark the volume of the loaf so you can tell when it has doubled. Do one stretch and fold, and preshape one hour later. Let rest 30 min, and then shape. Refridgerate until ready to bake, or proof 1 hour at room temp while the oven heats. Bake at 470F with steam for 15 min, and 15 min without steam.