Storing flour in the freezer

I’ve been keeping various sorts of flour in various sized ziplock bags in the freezer where they slump and take up too much valuable shelf space.

I’d love to find rigid freezer-safe BPA-free containers that will stand up straight and (not too) tall. Does anyone have experience and/or words of wisdom to share? I will remit my undying gratitude as an email attachment!

Here is a $479 white plastic storage container. :wink:

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-18-cu-ft-top-freezer-refrigerator-white/p-04660412000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CjwKEAiAkuLDBRCRguCgvITww0YSJAAHrpf-ftWpH9eLut-BnlnAGl2xEh799L9IpsMgHMsz3m1NtxoCs0Pw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Kidding! Though, I love having an extra fridge in the basement, but I justify it because I have a large family and my husband and I are big cooks, plus he brews beer and I make bread and lots of pickled and fermented stuff.

Are you near a Bed, Bath & Beyond store and do you collect their mailed coupons - that is where I would go for plastic containers.

Check out the Klip It’s we sell on our store: http://breadtopia.com/store/flour-canister/

Thank you. I never thought to look in the most obvious place, Eric’s Bakers’ Emporium! The Klip set looks like exactly what I’ve been looking for. Now to measure freezer space available to see if it will fit.

Many thanks,

~ irene

Att: Undying gratitude. :pray:t3:

1 Like

Thank you, Fermentada. We, too, have a freezer in the basement, and living in the Back of Beyond, buy/store stuff in bulk. What I need most is a rational way to organize my working baking ingredients in the bottom freezer section of the kitchen refrigerator.
Viva those lacto-ferments!

Back of Beyond - nice terminology :slight_smile:

Good luck finding a system. I am a bit intrigued by The Klip. Next time I’m ordering flour, if I need to meet the free shipping minimum, I may get a couple of those!

I bought a vacuum sealer, mostly for storing meat, fish and hops in my freezer. i use it to store flour, as well. It makes nice solid blocks of flour. I make them in 5# size most of the time, This allows me to take the flour our of the freezer and use it quickly and it preserves the flour well.

I don’t know if you have a need or desire for a vacuum sealer but flour storage is a good use for a vacuum sealer if you need or want one.

I buy flour in bulk and bought the 13.21 qt version Tellfresh container. I think the smaller one would be sufficient. I can easily get 20-25 lbs of flour in the big one.