Sourdough starter that is all liquid

I have a starter that was given to me by Amish baker but it’s all liquid. Very new at trying to make bread and do not know how much to use to make a loaf or how to feed it. I would like to make a jalapeño cheddar bread like they make at this location. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That sounds a lot like what is called yeast water. You can use it a couple of ways. Do a leaven build with some of the flour in your recipe, say 50g flour and 50g of your starter, mix and let sit for a few hours till bubbly then use that with the rest of rhe flour, liquid and other ingredients to make the dough. Or if you have enough just substitute the starter liquid for most or some of the liquid in the dough. Sometimes I will use a combination of the liquid starter and a flour based sourdough starter depending on what flavor profile is wanted.

As a matter of fact I somehow killed my yeast water and am in the process of making a new one which involves immersing organic raisins and apple slices in filtered water until the water has bubbles in it and the raisins begin to float, adding more water letin itferment for a while and using. Make sure the vessel you do this in has a loose fitting lid or pressure will build and possibly blow the lid off.

The advantages and some would say the disadvantages of yeast water are a faster ferment and a more neutral flavor. It all depends on what you favor in bread.

You can maintain your starter by feeding it some fruit and adding more water till it is bubbly again then refrigerate until needed for the next bake. Just about any fruit will work my preference is peaches or apples. When you use the starter just hold back a couple of tablespoons feed and let the yeasts build again then repeat.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Stu

Thank you