Sourdough Potato Bread

After a little experimenting, I am satisfied with the following bread recipe that incorporates mashed potato.

500 gr. water
500 gr. whole wheat flour (I usually use 250 gr. each whole Kamut and whole spelt flour)
Let this stand for 4 hours

200 gr. (+/-) peeled and chunked potato (I prefer Yukon gold but other varieties also work)
2T water
2T butter
Microwave the potato, water and butter until the potato can be mashed. I prefer to microwave rather than boil the potato to be able to control the amount of moisture.

While mashing the potato, add 2 T honey and 2 1/2 t salt.

After the mashed potato has cooled, whisk in 2 eggs.

Stir the mashed potato mixture into the autolyse.
Add 120 gr. starter (100% hydration) (I use 120 gr. starter for all of my baking because that is the size of my starter and the amount of discard that I have to use after each feeding)
Add 300 gr. white flour (I usually use white Kamut)

Let the dough ferment for 12 hours, performing 4 stretch&folds during the first 3 hours.

Divide the dough, form 2 loaves and place in greased/floured loaf pans.

After the loaves have doubled (1 1/2 to 2 hours) bake in oven preheated to 375 degrees. Tent the loaves for the first 25 minutes (I use another loaf pan), remove the tent and bake an additional 20 minutes (200 degrees).

I have also baked this recipe in a Dutch oven. But, I use this recipe primarily for sandwich bread and prefer the loaves for that purpose.

1 Like

Thanks John. Looks like it would indeed make a good sandwich bread.

1 Like

I suppose I should upload a pic of the most recent bake of this recipe before I finish eating it. :wink:

2 Likes

This looks wonderful. Thank you for the recipe and photo!

I’ve finally tried making a sourdough potato bread, and it seems to have been a success (it’s still cooling). The scoring got a little out of control, but it smells great!

Thanks, MTJohn, for posting your recipe. I’ve been on the lookout for good-looking recipes for sourdough potato bread, and this sounds delicious.

That looks beautiful!

Is it a little green or is that the lighting? I can imagine a potato and chive loaf having some green to it and tasting great!

Haha, yes, it’s a bit green (not exactly what I was going for). The recipe I used calls for dill seeds, which I wasn’t able to get. So I substituted an equal weight of dill weed – which was a mistake. The loaf definitely tastes good, but it’s got a much stronger dill flavor than I wanted. I guess it’s typically not a good idea to use the same weight when you’re substituting dried leaves for seeds.

I used 6 grams of dill weed. If I had to use dill weed again, I’d use maybe 3 grams.

Interesting - I also wouldn’t think off the bat that the plant would be stronger than the seed, but it makes sense. Great idea to add dill. I have some coming up in my garden…

I finally made a loaf with the seeds, and it was even better. I think the seeds have a noticeably different flavor from the dried leaves, which is interesting.

1 Like

Beautiful crust!

1 Like