Omit fold & shaping no-knead sourdough

What is the purpose of folding, resting and shaping of the dough prior to letting it rise in the banneton? Has anyone tried just scraping the dough directly into the banneton? I would try it but hate to waste the flour if it’s a total flop, and am hoping some adventurous soul already has. I love the loaf this recipe produces!

I have skipped the folding part when I am too busy to do it, or when I am not home and my spouse starts the bread for me. I will tell you though, it makes a nicer rise and better texture if you fold the dough.

Shaping is essential. If you don’t have a tight enough ‘skin’ with a free form and wet dough, you may end up with a flattened pancake when you are done.

1 Like

I have a friend that swears it makes no difference to the 2nd rise and crust. She bakes weekly and has totally given up the time required for the stretch and fold. To each his own.

1 Like

Thanks for your response, Penny. What you say about shaping makes total sense, and I would hate to mess with the texture. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it, right?!