Making Pizza Dough + Grilled Sourdough Pizza

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the "Reply" button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue "Log In" button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

My first try at sourdough pizza! Happy with the results. I baked in the oven at 475 degrees which is the max for my baking stone. A little underdone on the bottom, but happy with it overall.

Do you think that baking a bit before adding toppings would give me a crispier bottom crust?

That’s beautiful pizza!

I think you could prebake the crust, though also I’m wondering if you preheated your stone for a while. Im not sure the perfect amount of time, but the hotter the stone, the more the crust will cook and firm up.

I couldn’t figure out how to preheat the stone and get the pizza on it. Guess I need to buy a pizza peel.

Thank you!

You’re welcome. I have the breadtopia pizza peel and love it. For longer things like baguettes, I use a cookie sheet that is flipped over so there is no lip. I’ll admit to using way to much parchment paper. I keep meaning to buy cornmeal…

I’m wondering as to the benefit of working the olive oil in later in the process as several pizza dough recipes I’ve followed call for the liquids first and then the addition of the flour and salt together? Thank you

My husband love’s deep dish thick crust pizza’s. Has anyone tried making a deep dish with the sourdough recipe above?

Does anyone know how to access older posts? I’m trying to find the link Eric posted:
“Scroll down (or click here) to the Feb. 12, 2008 post by Fonseca for some great info on converting this recipe to all whole wheat.”

Me Too. The links on this site to recipes for pizza and sauce no longer work. Would like to read them if possible.
Thank you.

I have so much fun at family gatherings where I can make pizza 'till the cows come home. The recipes here are great, though I’ve also done the long ferment if I can plan ahead twelve hours or more, using 1/16 to 1/4 tsp yeast with 300 gm flour (1 tsp salt, 240 gm water) for a 12 " medium thickness pie. I have been prebaking my crusts lately, to keep the toppings from soaking them. Here’s one pie.
IMG_20190105_184214_602|500x500

Hopefully, better late than never…

1. Easy but expensive solution is to get a Baking Steel. This works much better than a baking stone. The difference will amaze you.

2. How much dough did you use for what size pizza? This looks a little thick to me.

3. The tomatoes look a bit thick as well and can give off a lot of water when cooked. Maybe try putting these on top of the cheese.

4. Try using less sauce. Too much makes the crust soggy even after cooking. This is something I am constantly guilty of doing.

5. Most important… I am sure the pizza was delicious regardless. Apologies for picking nits.

I was a little disappointed with the video on Homemade Artisan Pizza. After the 2 hours rise, he should have shaped the pizza dough by hand. Instead, he used a rolling pin!
The finished pizza had a “frame” around it, different from the flat edges the rolling pin left.

Looks delicious! Why I haven’t seen this before? It reminds me of pizza recipe from our annual family gatherings. I have only one question. Will this work with portable propane oven like one of these? I’m thinking to get one for our RV, we’re planning a trip across States this fall and it would be disappointing without grill and pizza.

With time and many more notches on the handle of our pizza peel, my pizza has evolved and even gone around full circle from thick bready crusts to thin and back. I’ve reduced my baking temperature to 375 degrees for baking single pies, so that I can reuse the parchment paper (My 80% doughs always absorb the corn meal and stick to my peel, ergo paper) . For multiple pies and a shorter turnover time, I bake at 500, tossing out the parchment paper after it scorches and turns brittle. I still pre-bake my crusts (5 minutes for thick and 4 for thin crusts). I don’t spray with oil before topping. I haven’t had a soggy crust with my first topping, a six ounce can of tomato paste mixed with a tablespoon of water, oregano, salt, pepper and basil. I still mix the doughs without oil. Many ways to skin this cat.
Never stop baking! Cheers!

I’m surprised that you give baking recipes by volume rather than weight. ideally with baker’s percentages.

Do you have one for a high whole wheat wheat % pizza dough?

Thanks

The video says to use water at 85 - 90 degrees…will yeast activate at a temperature this low?? I thought the standard was 105 - 115 degrees. Unfortunately I went by the video and actually measured the temperature of the water and ended up with a flat crust…

Can you provide the recipe in grams?