Couronne Bordelaise

Originally published at: http://breadtopia.com/couronne-bread-ring/
Couronne Bordelaise A while back a customer inquired if we carried Couronne proofing baskets. I had no idea what they were. Fortunately he inquired by email so I didn’t have to sound dumb on the phone. An internet search led me, among other places, to the Wild Yeast Blog (excellent bread website), where I learned…

I am thankful that I did not need a special proofing basket to make this bread! Your video (and pictures) are very comprehensive, and practical. Who knew that using a few common kitchen items could creat such a lovely loaf.
Thank you so much!

In the video for the dough you say you let the dough sit overnight. Would that be in the refrigerator or on the counter? I am thinking the counter because there is very little yeast but am unsure. Can you please advise?

I made my first couronnes for a New Year’s Day party and they turned out pretty great. Well, the third one did. My practice run two days earlier suffered problems in planning and execution. The first of the two I baked on New Year’s Day (prepped New Year’s Eve) didn’t “crown” - the round disk barely separated from the dough balls to produce the crowning effect. But couronne #3 was nearly perfect. I’ll definitely be making this again, trying different doughs, maybe at slightly higher levels of hydration. I used a 65% hydration sourdough, and the result was dense, almost like a bagel. Very tasty, and the couronne was a hit at the party. I’d like to try this with something more like French bread dough.

The pictures below show a couronne proofing in my home-rigged proofing basket: a cake pan and small ramekin covered with a floured cloth napkin.

2 Likes

Very creative. Bread and proofing basket. Looks lovely!

1 Like