Can I bake sourdough bread without a bread baker, baking stone, or Dutch Oven?

Though I make bread with yeast starter using loaf pans, I want to do sourdough but do not have a proofing basket, baking stone, bread baker, or cast iron Dutch Oven. Until I am fully committed to baking artisan sourdough, I don’t want to invest in expensive tools as I am retired. Looking for least $$$$ options. Can I do a Boule on a baking sheet with parchment paper? Advice and suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Sure you can use what ever you have, my sister does her sourdough in a loaf pan… it just doesn’t look as cool…:slight_smile:

Sure you can! Have you got a bowl that has a large diameter? Shape your sourdough in the classic boule shape on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Make sure the bowl is larger across than your loaf. Grease the inside of the bowl and flip it over the loaf. The bowl will keep the dough from spreading out and your bread will have the high round shape you want.

And you can proof the dough in a bowl lined with a clean cotton kitchen towel (not terrycloth) that you have rubbed flour into.
And if you do use a bowl for the baking make sure the bowl is oven-proof.
You can often find good Pyrex-type bowls in thrift stores for very cheap.

Absolutely! I have used all kinds of alternatives . . two of my favorites were a cast aluminum dutch oven of my mom’s and a Pyrex casserole bowl with a lid! I like a lid because it gives a nice crust to the loaf. Just have fun with it. My only suggestion would be to keep using the same process until you’re happy with the results, otherwise when you change your process, you may need to tweak it differently to be happy with it.

Get yourself a baking steel. You don’t need a stone, basket, bread baker or cast iron dutch over. http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel. Place a pan of water under the steel and you are all set to go.

Thanks, Everyone, for your great ideas! I’ve noted them all. Appreciate your help!

Hi!
Sometimes I bake sourdough loaves in a pan. To trap the steam I get the same size loaf pan and invert it over the loaf pan with the dough in it.
It works really well and it heats through so fast that you don’t have to preheat it with the oven.
I do find that a baking stone or baking steel helps tremendously and it is worth having for regular baking, roasting, etc.

Happy sourdough adventures!

I, too, bake with and without a dutch oven and/or pizza stone. I have loaf pans I use regularly. Lately, I’ve been making plain rolls for sandwiches. 3 oz on parchment papered cookie sheets work great. For steam I throw in 3 or 4 ice cubes just after putting the pans in the oven. Bread is really pretty forgiving! It’s fun to use all the gadgets, but I use the basics more and more. I don’t like to fight the air conditioner during the summer, so my dutch oven baking wins over late fall and all winter. :slight_smile:

If you don’t have a dutch oven, use the lid from a large roasting pan to cover your loaf for the first 20 minutes of baking. Does the job nicely!