Bread sticks to pan

No knead bread sticks to the bottom of my dutch oven when done baking

Are you preheating the Dutch oven and is the dough well floured before it goes in?

I am preheating the oven to 450. I am also using a no-knead recipe which creates a very sticky dough. I am using a sour dough starter that a friend gave me and I wonder if that may be the problem. I have tried this three times, both with some rye flour twice and then just white flour. With the white flour, it rose a bit more, but the texture is spongy and feels damp. I wonder if it could be the starter???

JIs your starter strong enough to make it rise? Will it float in a cup of water? If not it is not strong enough to make the bread rise.

I tried to drop a bit in a cup of water and it definitely did not float… It still has some bubbles, so I am a bit confused.

You just have to try to get it stronger. You may need to use additional bread yeast to your mixture to get the additional rise you are looking for until you have got your starter strength up. A 1/4 of a tsp should be enough.

I will buy some yeast and try to add it. If it does not work I may just give up and use the pure yeast. I am not a patient person!!

Have you tried to place some parchment paper in the Dutch oven before adding the dough?

Sounds like a good idea! I decided I had killed my starter and will try again! Wish me luck!

Sorry to hear that, I just killed and rebuilt mine too. I had some bad flour and my starter tasted like mildew. Very weird. If you are having trouble getting your starter going let me know. After the rebuild mine is very strong and will double in about 5 hours.

Try pre-heating the Dutch oven in the oven for 30 minutes to get it good and hot; if you sprinkle the dough with some corn meal, then invert it into the Dutch oven, it shouldn’t stick. I use parchment paper in my proofing basket and lift the dough and parchment paper (oiled with a bit of olive oil or sprinkled with corn meal) into a pre-heated clay baker (I’ve also used a metal Dutch oven many times)–so far, no problems. I had one loaf stick to a metal Dutch oven (out of several dozen baked), and I seem to remember that I forgot to use the corn meal, which acts like little ball bearings keeping the dough off the pot. The pre-heated pot causes a quick crust to form, avoiding any sticking.