Mouthwatering!

1 Like

Seeded Spelt Sourdough with Walnuts & Raisins

400g KAF Bread Flour (12.7% protein) 40%
400g KAF APF Flour (11.7% protein) 40%
200g BRM Spelt flour (13.3% protein) 20%
880g H2O @ 85-90ºF 88%
22g Fine sea salt
250g Spelt Starter (any starter will work - mine is about 85% hydration - like thick cake batter)
2 TBL Boiled cider (or honey or agave - if using agave, reduce to 1 TBL)
2 TBL Walnut oil (optional)
200g or to taste Toasted walnuts
½ c KAF Harvest Seed Blend (1 c. hot water soaker)
200g or to taste Raisins (soaked in hot water for 1-2 hours; drained)

Do soaker of seeds and raisins separately; draining if needed before use.
Toast walnuts – 325 for 10-12 minutes and cool completely. Set aside.

Mix 830g of water (reserving 50g water) with boiled cider and starter.
Add all flour.
Cover bowl and autolyse somewhere warm (around 78ºF) for 40 minutes.

After autolyse, add salt, reserved 50g water & seeds (can add ¼ tsp instant yeast at this point if starter needs oomph). Mix by hand to incorporate ingredients - don’t over mix. Complete 4 stretch & folds spaced out by 20-30 minutes (1st S&F after 30 min; store dough someplace warm during rests). Gently add raisins/nuts and walnut oil at second stretch & fold - don’t worry if they are not well dispersed at this point - they will be by the end. After completing the 4 S&Fs, cover & complete bulk ferment in refrigerator over night (about 7 hours; alternatively let bulk ferment at rest for additional 2-3 hours on counter/warm room). After bulk ferment, divide dough into 2 masses. Pre-shape into boules, let rest seam down for 20 minutes UNcovered. After 20 min rest, shape each into batard or boule. Proof in bannetons (lined with linen dusted with rice flour, covered) for 1.5 hours on countertop or in warm room (if you have chosen the shorter countertop bulk fermentation, consider doing final proof in refrigerator over night/about 7 hours for flavor development). (Choose whichever fermentation/proofing method meets your schedule needs.)

Preheat oven & cookers for 1 hr. at 500º. Turn out loaves onto parchment rounds. Score. 20 minutes at 500º. After 20 min, reduce oven to 450º. Bake for 30 min at 450º. Remove cooker lids & bake for an additional 10 minutes. Watch for scorching raisins if any are sitting on the surface of the breads - can loosely cover with foil to prevent scorching, although this may interfere with deep browning of crust. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks. LET COOL A FULL 90 MINUTES BEFORE SLICING (difficult, but I swear it’s worth it particularly b/c the walnut oil and soaked seeds/fruit have added to the moist crumb — slicing early will result in gumminess).

Thanks, Fay! I am pleased - I have been a but frustrated lately with my results - but this one is really delicious. Used a cheap-o Granite Wear pan for the oblong and a Emile Henry cloche for the boule. I think the little extra touches made the flavor really pop - toasting the walnuts, the walnut oil and the boiled cider (aka apple molasses)… YUM!

Sure looks good. Is the boiled apple cider something you bought, or did you reduce some apply cider yourself?

I bought it (shame, shame…) from the KAF site, but the producer is here: http://www.woodscidermill.com/PRODUCTS.html

looks really good, I will be trying this one out soon

Enjoy! Since then, I have also made this with figs instead of raisins. I just love this bread - the spelt is wonderful. I hope you enjoy it.