Baking Pizza Stones

Originally article:

Top Reasons Why Bakers Everywhere Use FibraMent baking stones: The FibraMent line of baking stones were developed by Illinios entrepreneur Mark O’Toole to meet the needs of professional bakers. Prior to FibraMent, bakers options were limited to ceramic and clay products that baked unevenly and cracked easily. FibraMent has become an industry standard for the…

I am assuming that the round Fibrament baking stones (beveled) with flame diverter can be used on either side, but which side is recommended for cooking surface? Pictures on the web site show both! The small side is stone and the larger side has a kind of matte finish. Thanks!

The wider, rougher, matte side goes up. It is the cooking surface.

Hi, can I use this baking stone to baking Country Sourdough Bread?

Sure. It’s the same stone as their other ones, just round instead of rectangular.

Can the fibrament stone be cut with a masonry saw? Also, is it okay to use one for my wood-fired pizza oven?

FibraMent baking stones: If I put one in my convection oven, do I keep it there all the time, or remove it when I’m not baking bread?

A lot of people leave the stone in their oven. I’d try both ways. For my oven (non-convection), the stone slowed/blocked the preheat too much for my day-to-day baking. I keep it on my counter under my toaster oven.

I love my stone. My parents have moved in during Covid, and to “help” washed it with a soapy sponge. Is there a recommended way to fix this?

I think the safest thing to do would be to let it air dry for several days and then redo the pre-drying process.

While I can’t recommend this, I’ve used a damp sponge on my stone and then baked with it a few weeks later, no problems. Definitely weeks of time interval though.

I just got a new stone it is larger than my old one and is rectangular. I can now easily bake two loves at once. Saves time and electric. I like the idea above about putting one on top wondering if this shortens the bake time

you’re right that the Fibrament baking stones can be used on either side, but I’d recommend using the beveled side as the cooking surface. It helps to channel the heat and create a nice, crispy crust on your baked goods.

These days pizza stones basically come in a can. Literally, 1-gal or 1-qt. Pour the stuff into a mold and let it harden. Done. Very not cheap. They used to sell it at California Pizza Stone. CPS makes baking floors for commercial ovens.

I’m sure some places still DIY their own formulas but I don’t think you can get a better stone, heat tolerant, temp shock-proof, out of a can. I thought about doing custom stones for my BBQ but the cost for a gallon of the stuff was over the top.