Baking Bread in a Big Green Egg

Originally published at: http://breadtopia.com/baking-bread-in-a-big-green-egg/
A couple years ago I talked about my experience with baking bread in an outdoor grill. One solution to baking yourself out of your own home during the hot summer months. Recently, Breadtopia reader Marianne Preston posted a photo of her success using a Big Green Egg to accomplish the same thing. Since the bread…

Recently I’ve been baking in a Chargriller Akorn which is a less expensive metal version of a ceramic Kamado or green egg grill. It has the stone heat diffuser. The grill and the stone were preheated to 500F and the bread baked directly on the stone for the entire time.First attempt was encouraging but some improvements were needed because there was limited spring and the bottom crust was almost burnt. Steam needed to be trapped and the crust insulated to prevent burning.

The technique that finally worked was to preheat the grill, stone and a dutch oven bottom to 500F put the loaf directly on the stone and cover with the DO and restrict the air vents on the grill to start reducing the temp and bake for 15 min. Then take off the DO and place the loaf on an inverted cake pan to insulate the bottom crust and finish the bake. Works well I’d show a picture but can’t seem to load it.
Stu

I recently bought a Big Green Egg to serve as an outdoor bread oven during the summer. It works fine except for a strong smoky aroma and taste. Is that standard with the BGE? I’d welcome suggestions as to how to minimize the smoking smell and flavor as it defeats some of the pleasure from baking the loaves. Many thanks.

I have noticed the same - especially after smoking a protein before. We have mitigated this with cleaner, more expensive charcoal. Cowboy brand, I believe.jb

There is a brand of lump that is made from birch grown in Russia called Black Diamond. I think it has a cleaner burn (less odor). They use center cuts after stripping the bark. Just a thought.

I have been cooking on an Egg for years. The amount of smoky taste is directly related to the type of lump charcoal you are using. I have found that Royal Oak Lump is the most neutral taste that I can find around here at least. My local Home Depot carries it year round.

Can pizzas, loaf bread and biscuits be baked an all sizes of the Big Green Egg? I am asking because it confusingly seems like the accoutrements shown for baking are for only the larger sizes.
I am planning to buy the medium size particularly for baking.
Thank you.